New Licensees

This forum is for general Items of interest to the ham community.
wb5l
Site Admin

New Licensees

Post by wb5l »

Let’s all give a cool congratulations to our three new Hams, who just got their new call sign today!

KI5KDS,Joshua Fitzgibbon, Fayetteville, Technition
KI5KDT,Jeff Slocum, Prairie Grove, Technition
KI5KDU,Ronald Neve, Siloam Springs, General

And Jeff KI5KDT has even joined BVRC!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Glenn - WB5L

KI5KDT

Re: New Licensees

Post by KI5KDT »

Good morning! Thanks for having me. It was great to meet the few club members I met at the church a couple weeks ago. It’s nice to know that there is a lot knowledge and experience in the area and I hope to meet more of you in the future.
Jeff
KI5KDT

wb5l
Site Admin

Post by wb5l »

Jeff, I know you are excited and proud to have earned your FCC license!
Congratulations again!

If you have any questions or need assistance, that's what we are here for!
Feel free to ask using the elmer forum or the Elmer-911 page on the main website.

Do you have any equipment yet? Let us know how you are getting along.

Glenn - WB5L

KI5KDT

Post by KI5KDT »

I just ordered a Yaesu VX-6R from HRO last night. I also threw in an extra battery, the water resistant mic and a dual band Signal Stick from Signal Stuff. That will meet my needs for now and I’ll get some experience using the HT before deciding on a mobile for the truck. I’m anxious to see how well the VX performs when we’re out hiking and what not. Shouldn’t have any problems where I live as we’re up on a hill with a good 360 degree view but we’ll see.
Our fleet radios at work are Kenwood mobiles and ht’s. Even with the short stubby antennas on the ht’s they hit our repeaters really well, so I’m hopeful that the VX will perform similarly.
I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos over the last couple months as well as a couple books I ordered from Amazon. I’m just going take baby steps and enjoy it along the way but my goal is to someday have a solid setup at the house too. It’s all very interesting and a little intimidating at the same time. I’m sure I’ll have some questions when my ht gets here.
Jeff
KI5KDT

KI5KDU

Post by KI5KDU »

Thanks for the kudos. I too was impressed with the graciousness of those at the testing day. A great bunch of folks. I am starting with an Anytone D878UV. I wanted to go a bit more than the $50 Baofeng but not so high end that I overbought. I have had some challenges with programming but have found help when needed and will probably seek more as I get more confident and move toward digital. I have the main repeaters programmed and have made contact with a couple coworkers. Will probably try to work the repeaters a bit this weekend. Unfortunately the BVRC repeater is a bit out of range for my HT, but if I get that way I will for sure try to make some contacts.

Thanks again,
Ron