Free Online CW Class for Students

This forum is for general Items of interest to the ham community.
wb5l
Site Admin

Free Online CW Class for Students

Post by wb5l »

Gentlemen,
I came across Clara (KI5XTX) operating the Razorback Contest Club (W5YO) during the CQ WW WPX SSB Contest on Saturday and had a QSO with her.. When I talked to Don later that evening, he told me that Clara, Jere,and Vinson were at his QTH and had a ball working the contest. He also mentioned that Clara said she now wanted to learn Morse Code. It just so happens that I saw this post on the Long Island CW Club Facebook page a day or two before:

Announcing new FREE Kids CW class!
Starting next Monday, March 23, the Long Island CW Club will offer FREE daily classes for elementary school age students and middle/high school age students through our video conferencing platform. As many children are home from school for the next couple of months, here is an opportunity to learn Morse code and keep intellectually stimulated with a fascinating usable radio skill.

Classes will be Monday-Friday:
12-12:30 for elementary students
12:45-1:30 for middle/high school students

Students need parents permission to register and a parent or guardian needs to be in proximity to the child during classes. Access to a Morse key and oscillator(to make the sounds) is ideal but not required.
To register contact Rob K2MZ at K2MZ@yahoo.com, 508-831-8248.
We will need full name, email, phone, state and how you learned about the classes to register.

This class will move to after-school hours once regular school schedules resume. We are also planning on an amateur radio license test prep class for kids and youth this summer.

Don’t get cabin fever! Learn Morse Code!

I sent Clara and Jere an email with this information and offered to give her the MFJ 557 straight key w/ oscillator that I had. The following day (Sunday) Clara had already registered for the class and I brought over the key She begins the class this week and is "over the moon" with excitement Don is going to follow up with an article in The Signal on her journey in the class and CW.

Thanks and 73,

Tom W5XNA